The Palms Depot was built in 1887 when it overlooked a grid of new streets in the subdivision of Palms, which was the only urbanized area between Los Angeles and the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica. A few years later the Palms Depot became a part of the Southern Pacific Railroad, it was electrified in 1908 and served passenger and freight traffic until 1933 when the railroad transferred its functions to Culver Junction. The Palms Depot continued to serve the Pacific Electric Railway’s trolly service for 20 more years, until terminated in 1953. The architectural style of the Palms Depot is Eastlake, and it served as a motion picture backdrop for Laurel & Hardy and Little Rascal films. The depot was moved to Heritage Square, Los Angeles in 1975, where it was restored and is used as the Visitor Center.
Please click on the image to view in high resolution. Click here to view the depot “back in the day”.