Images & Observations

Posts tagged “processing

Hose #1; An Exercise In Post Processing

Nikon D7000 10-24mm @ 12mm ISO 1600 1/20 +2EV -2EV f/8 Lr3, HEP1, CEP3; PsCS5

We are still at the San Bernardino Railroad & History Museum this week, and as we started last week off with a vintage piece of fire fighting apparatus, this week starts with a view of SAN B’DINO HOSE No. 1, a horse drawn truck for transporting the fire hose to the fire.

As with the majority of my images, the three frames that make up this image were shot hand-held.  The camera raw images were converted to DNG in Lightroom and then processed with Nik Software’s HDR Efrex Pro using a custom preset that I had previously devised.  This composited the three images together and tone mapped the result.  I used a custom preset in HDR Exfex Pro that I had previously devised, and the composite image only required very minimal “tweaking”.  The image was then moved in to Photo Shop and a duplicate background layer was created which then had a Gaussian blur applied.  I then masked out the fire truck, removing the blur from the truck.  A duplicate layer was created and then processed in Nik’s Color Efex Pro 3, the entire image, except the masked out truck, was modified by applying Color Efex Pro’s Midnight-Bright Sepia filter.  There was minor fine tuning along the way, and I spent some time magnifying the image and cleaning up edges of masking that overlapped, or underlapped.

I thoroughly enjoyed post processing this image and I think it has a nice, vintage feel to it, yet retains great clarity and detail on the truck.

Please click on the image to view it in high resolution.


Re-working An Image

Nikon D80 18mm ISO 320 1/20 f/11 (-2.0 0.0 +2.0) Lr3 HDR Efex Pro

You should never hesitate to return to an old image and re-work it.  This image was originally created in September of last year when I was first experimenting with HDR techniques.   Looking back at the original rendition of the image I can say in all honesty, it was fairly crude and cartoonish as you can see in this thumbnail.  I did not hesitate to post the image back then because I consider this blog a manifestation of my growth and development as a photographer, and was just excited to share my journey of discovery of HDR technique.  So it is with some pride and a sense of redemption that I am posting the revised image today.  Isn’t this what life is all about, living and learning, every day.

As far as what I did when I reprocessed the image:

  • HDR processed and tone mapped in Nik HDR Efex Pro instead of Photomatix.  I used one of either the Architectural or Landscape filters in HDR Efex Pro (I did not write down which on) and then tweaked the individual control settings.
  • Used the Nik Control Point technology to darken, increase contrast and further saturate the top of the building wall in the top right quarter of the image, I feel this gave the building more of a three dimensional effect, and redirected the radiation of the sun from the top right to the bottom left.
  • Set a control point over the lower left section of the man and the flower bed and increased the exposure, contrast and saturation, to bring more emphasis on the human figure and also redirect the source of the sun’s rays.
  • Used Lightroom to adjust for lens distortion and perform sharpening.
  • It should go without saying, that this processing began using the original, raw image files.

I had a blast re-creating this.